My Favorite Beef Meals

With the Thanksgiving holiday quickly approaching, I can't help but think about my favorite meals. I know Thanksgiving is traditionally about turkey, but I prefer a good beef dish over turkey any day.


When I was growing up, my mother prepared a roast every Sunday. To this day, I probably enjoy a good roast with brown gravy more than anything. Those are special meals as a kid growing up and they just kind of take you back whenever you have it.

When I got to thinking about that, I realized I have favorite beef choices for almost every occasion. There’s probably a story hidden behind each one of my favorites. I may not remember the story, but I do know when I’m in that dining situation, what I prefer.

Invitation Out: If I was going over to somebody's house for dinner and they cooked a roast with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and brown gravy, I could probably go for that. As I said, that's my idea of a really good home meal.

Dining Out in a Restaurant: Both Ruth and I like to order a beef tenderloin filet when we’re dining out. It’s just a real attractive cut when dining out. One of my favorite places to eat them is the Little Rhein Steakhouse in San Antonio. I just enjoy sitting on the river on a fall or spring evening. They have really good creamed spinach too. I also enjoy really good barbecue in a restaurant.

Cooking at Home: If I had my choice I’d grill ribeyes at home. As a home cook, I need some leeway between potential distractions and the need to always watch the heat of the fire. So I turn to the ribeye or T-bone when I’m grilling. Those are both excellent cuts for the home grill. I cook my steaks to medium rare.

What will you be enjoying this Thanksgiving holiday?