Being Grandparents

Ruth and I are grandparents of one boy and four girls, and when fall comes around we really miss the activity that our grandkids generate during the summer. Although not all of them are school-age yet, fall months seem to lower their speeds.

Our grandkids are the reason Ruth and I moved from our longtime home in Alvin to Central Texas. We wanted to be near them and it’s been really nice to see them all the time. During summer, it’s not unusual for all of them to come by my office during the same day. And if they don’t, I know they’ll filter through at some point during the course of the week.

As parents, I remember hearing people tell me: “Just wait until you’re a grandparent.” And I thought that didn’t make any sense. How can being a grandparent be any different than being a father and raising your own children and participating in all the things that your children experience? But now I can honestly say that having grandchildren is completely different than I ever anticipated. They bring a lot of joy to our lives. We’re already looking forward to the holiday season when we’ll gather all the kids up and take them to the ranch because they love playing down by the river.